Friday, December 4, 2009

Beans and Greens Risotto

My husband Stan and I have gotten some really horrible eating habits in the past ten years. I hate cooking and usually screw up everything I try to cook (although I do love to bake!). Stan is in school and working, so he doesn't have time for much else. So we have spent a lot of time and money eating out. It's time for us to learn how to cook and eat fresh, healthy food at home. I check out a lot of books from our library and have been working through some cookbooks. My new favorite is Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers. While we are far from vegetarian, vegetables are more economical than meat and generally healthier.

This is the Beans and Greens Risotto. It's simply rice with pinto beans and escarole and of course, Parmesan cheese. This is my first try with risotto and also with escarole. It turned out very good. With the rice and cheese the calorie count was a bit high for our general 500-600 calorie dinners, but it was very rich and creamy and I loved it. It kept me full for the rest of the night and reheated well for leftovers. I'll definitely make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment