Thursday, October 8, 2009

Beekeeping

I am beginning a blog about my beginning beekeeping. I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, but I figure I'd start writing about it. From what I've read, the best time to start a new hive is in spring, so I've still got some time to plan. Currently, I'm reading books, researching a grant and talking to the local beekeeping association about a class. The class doesn't start until February, so I would really like to be more prepared by then. The contact for the class, given to me by the Clemson extension, is not very reliable about getting back to me when I ask questions. So, in the mean time, I'm going to keep reading and go to the State Fair next week where I hear there is a bee display.

My main questions are the basics. How do you build a hive? How do you extract honey? How do you keep from being stung? What happens if I abandon my hive? How much will this all cost? I'm beginning to get an idea, but I still need lots more research.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! Beekeeping! My husband and I have discussed getting a hive started, now that we own a house instead of renting. I'll be following your adventures with great interest. We won't be starting until at least next year, because we have a bunch of renovations to finish before we take on responsibility for a bunch of tiny bee lives.

    (I found your blog through the heavenly cake bakers)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still renting! I've been told that hives are very mobile, but I don't think I'm ready for one quite yet. I should probably work on something a bit more practical. But definitely, some day. :-)

    ReplyDelete